Monday, December 9, 2013

Book Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas


Goodreads summary:

An assassin’s loyalties are always in doubt.
But her heart never wavers.


After a year of hard labor in the Salt Mines of Endovier, eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien has won the king's contest to become the new royal assassin. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown – a secret she hides from even her most intimate confidantes.

Keeping up the deadly charade—while pretending to do the king's bidding—will test her in frightening new ways, especially when she's given a task that could jeopardize everything she's come to care for. And there are far more dangerous forces gathering on the horizon -- forces that threaten to destroy her entire world, and will surely force Celaena to make a choice.

Where do the assassin’s loyalties lie, and who is she most willing to fight for?


My review:

*mild spoilers concerning the romance*

This is definitely one of my favorite YA fantasy series.  It's so full of action and excitement.  Sarah J. Maas is an excellent writer and I can't wait to see what happens in the rest of this series.

I admit that, although I loved Celaena in Throne of Glass, she had a slight Mary-Sue (.i.e., she was too perfect) quality that bothered me a little.  However, I think that in Crown of Midnight she was a much more well-developed character.  Even though she was as tough as ever, she had flaws and weaknesses.  I also love how Maas isn't afraid to make her heroine such a dark and twisted character.  Celaena suffers so many losses in this book and it reflects on her character - she will stop at nothing to save what she holds dear.

Oh, Chaol.  And Dorian.  Gah, I'm completely in love with both of them, although Chaol is really my favorite.  I love where Maas took the romance, and yet it also broke my heart (I won't say much so I don't spoil anything, but for those who've read the book, you know what I mean.  I think Celaena overreacted).  I just want my OTP to end up together...is that too much to ask?  Apparently. *sniffles*



I also love how Chaol and Dorian aren't just in the story for the romance, too.  Dorian really developed as a character and I love how he finally learns to stand up for himself.  And Chaol is so sweet.  I love how he's so loyal to his job and how he does what he believes is right no matter what.  He sacrifices so much for Celaena.  In my opinion, she totally does not deserve him.

I just love the plot and the writing.  There's so much action and lots of separate storylines happening.  All the plot development has made me super excited for the next book.  And the big reveal with Celaena at the end was amazing.  I think I was biting my nails for at least the last 50 pages of the book!  The writing is so good; I love how it's in third person and we also get the POVs of characters like Chaol, Dorian, and more - not just Celaena.  It's perfect for epic fantasy books like this where there's always a lot of action.

I'm so impressed with this sequel.  It made me feel all the feels and I'm extremely envious of Sarah J. Maas and her amazing writing skills right now.  I'm just going to sit in the corner and cry until the next book comes out.  That's totally normal, right?  Riiight?



My rating:  5 out of 5 stars

~ Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment