Friday, November 1, 2013

My Top 5 Books of October 2013

Um, how is it already November?  I can't believe Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up!  Hopefully holiday breaks will mean I get more reading in.  I didn't read as many books this month because I've been so busy with school.

Here's the books I read in October:

- Ten by Gretchen McNeil
- Rebel Angels by Libba Bray
- Shadows by Jennifer L. Armentrout
- The Rules for Disappearing by Ashley Elston
- The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson
- Stir Me Up by Sabrina Elkins
- The Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead
- House of Hades by Rick Riordan
- Wentworth Hall by Abby Grahame
- Olivia Twisted by Vivi Barnes
- The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider
- The Elementals by Saundra Mitchell
- Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen
- Eramane by Frankie Ash
- The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
- Just Like Fate by Cat Patrick and Suzanne Young
- Pawn by Aimee Carter
- Allegiant by Veronica Roth
- Altered by Gennifer Albin

My top 5 favorites:

1. The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider.  This heartbreaking contemporary story is easily an all-time favorite.  Highly recommended for John Green fans.  I was alternately laughing and crying while reading this.  This book was perfect in every way.

2. The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson.  An awesome ending to the Girl of Fire and Thorns trilogy.  Carson excels at writing well-crafted fantasy books, and I love the romance between Elisa and Hector.  This final book does not disappoint.  Rae Carson is definitely one of my favorite authors, and I can't wait to see what she writes next!

3. House of Hades by Rick Riordan.  Um, how can you not love anything Rick Riordan writes?  He's pretty much the king of YA Greek mythology.  What you need to know about this book: there will be tears, both of joy and sadness.  There is an abundance of our beloved Percabeth.  And Leo is as awesome as ever.  (Thank goodness there was no major cliffhanger ending!!)

4. Stir Me Up by Sabrina Elkins.  I thought this book would just be a cute contemporary, but it's so much more!  I empathized with all the characters and was surprised by how well-written and emotional this book was.  A wonderful, fun read!

5. Pawn by Aimee Carter.  Oh, you guys.  Pawn is SO much better than Carter's Goddess Test series.  Her pacing and writing has improved by leaps and bounds, the heroine is spunky and likeable, and the action and drama never let up.  I know everyone's tired of dystopians, but I have to say, Pawn is absolutely one that I'd recommend - it'll really keep you on the edge of your seat.

Honorable mentions to Rebel Angels and The Darkest Minds. :) What were some of your favorite reads from the past month?

P.S. My review of Pawn by Aimee Carter will be posted this weekend!

~ Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment