Monday, November 4, 2013

Book Review: Eramane by Frankie Ash


Goodreads summary:


In the village of Eludwid, seventeen-year-old Eramane Fahnestock goes about her life, cheerfully disregarding a prophecy made to her parents that she would have a great gift. Not yet wed and beset with boredom, Eramane cannot shake the feeling that something exciting awaits her beyond Eludwid. But when she is invited to picnic with a handsome young suitor, Eramane has no idea that her life will soon change forever.

As Eramane prepares for her date, she is suddenly hypnotized by a strange voice that tells her he will be coming for her that night. Unsettled but determined to press forward, Eramane and her suitor, Lebis, head to the woods to enjoy their picnic. As darkness falls on the forest, however, a beast emerges, transforming their beautiful outing into a terrifying scene. Taken captive and carried away to a mountain hideaway, Eramane finds her memories are soon clouded, even as her family frantically searches for her back home.

In this gripping fantasy tale, evil is summoned to the mountaintop, forcing a young woman to discover her magical gifts and exact revenge against a beast determined to destroy everything she has ever loved.
 
My review:
 
I had the opportunity to meet the lovely Frankie Ash while we were both attending a book signing in VA.  We started talking about books, and she mentioned that she'd just had a book published recently, then kindly offered me a copy!  She even signed it for me.  She was very sweet and I enjoyed getting to meet and talk to her.  So I was very excited to start reading Eramane.
 
I really enjoyed this book.  I like the fantasy world it's set in and how it's explored.  I appreciated the descriptions of the village of Eludwid at the beginning; it gave me a great idea of the setting.  The bond between the Eramane's family is something else I liked a lot; they love each other and will stop at nothing to protect each other.  Eramane herself is a strong, likeable character who has a good character arc.  As the story progresses, she suffers a lot, but she never gives up and I liked that about her.
 
That being said, I do think the second half of the book is a little weaker than the first half.  We get to see the point of view of Eramane's brother, which I liked since this meant a lot more action.  Eramane's storyline, however, felt a little more slow-paced and vague.  There's lots of action at the end, though.  Ash doesn't hold back in making her characters suffer, and that really makes this a strong fantasy book.  This promising debut is a fun read for fantasy fans!
 
My rating:  3.5 out of 5 stars
 
~ Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment