Friday, February 8, 2013

Book Review: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi


Goodreads summary:

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

it's almost

time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.


My review:

Oh my word, you guys, this book was GOOD.  Tahereh Mafi broke my heart in this book and I really think I'm going to die in suspense as I wait for the final book in this incredible series to come out.

I don't even know how to describe Unravel Me.  It's hard to describe the emotions and feelings this book made me feel.  It's beautiful, harsh, poignant, mindblowing, and it will leave you reeling and wishing over and over for the last book.

Oh, the characters.  The characters.  Excuse me while I go gush over Warner.  I KNOW.  Warner.  I was firmly Team Adam in the first book, though I thought Warner was a fascinating character.  Then I read Destroy Me, the novella from Warner's POV.  Probably the best novella I've ever read, by the way.  And I began feeling sympathy for him.  He's not a monster; he's a person.  And slowly, throughout Unravel Me, I fell in love with him right along with Juliette. 

And Chapter 62.  I can't even.  I was an emotional wreck after reading that chapter.  Why, why, why did Tahereh Mafi have to go do that?  This is one of the most well-crafted love triangles I've ever read.  While I do really love Adam, and I felt so bad for him in this book, I think I'm Team Warner now.  There's something about Warner...his character has so much depth, and feeling, and loneliness, and he understands Juliette in a way that Adam doesn't. 

So back to the characters.  Like, Adam's little brother James.  So cute.  He wasn't in the book a ton, but he stole my heart in every scene he was in.  And can I squeal over Kenji now?  Sure, he was funny enough in the first book, but I completely adored him in Unravel Me.  He had so many funny lines, yet he showed a serious side.  I kept rooting for Kenji and admiring the tenuous friendship between him and Juliette.

Oh, Juliette.  I admit, she's not one of my favorite heroines ever, but I do like her.  Sometimes, she just seems a little too wimpy, a little too dramatic.  But she toughens up in this book and learns to put her feelings aside and do what she has to do.  So overall, I like her and was glad she had more character growth in this novel.

The writing!  How is Tahereh Mafi so talented?  I wish I could write like she does.  She has this incredible talent for creating metaphors, painting vivid descriptions, and her writing is just so lyrical and gorgeous and it blows me away.  I will read anything she writes.  Her writing touches your heart and makes you think.  I love it.

I'd ramble on about the amazingness of the plot too, but this review's already too long.  So suffice it to say that there's so much more action, so much plot development, and I loved every single one of the characters in this book, even all the minor ones (oh, except Warner's dad though.  I've probably never despised a character so much), and basically this book is perfect and you need to read it.  I know I will be reading it over and over again.

My rating:  10 out of 10 (5 stars)

~ The Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment