Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Book Review: Forever by Maggie Stiefvater


Goodreads summary:

then.

When Sam met Grace, he was a wolf and she was a girl. Eventually he found a way to become a boy, and their loved moved from curious distance to the intense closeness of shared lives.

now.

That should have been the end of their story. But Grace was not meant to stay human. Now she is the wolf. And the wolves of Mercy Falls are about to be kill in one final, spectacular hunt.

forever.

Sam would do anything for Grace. But can one boy and one love really change a hostile, predatory world? The past, the present, and the future are about to collide in one pure moment - a moment of death or life, farewell or forever.


My review:

Forever was a beautifully written conclusion to the Wolves of Mercy Falls series.  This has become one of my favorite series now - there's something so poetic and charming about Stievater's storytelling.

Like Shiver and Linger, Forever is very much a character-driven novel.  Although, since this is the last book in the trilogy, there is a small amount of action, towards the end at least.  But what I love best about Forever is the journey that the characters take.  I love Grace, she's a character that I've identified with throughout the entire series.  Sam is so sweet and tenderhearted and I've grown to love his character.  But I think Cole and Isabel might be my favorite characters.  They're both so vulnerable and strong at the same time, and I love reading about them.

Out of the whole series, I thought Forever has the strongest plot.  Sure, it's not action-packed, but there's so much more at stake as the wolves fight to stay alive and find a new home.  And of course Maggie Stiefvater's writing is as good as ever.  She's so talented at making the story flow smoothly, and her writing shines through in Forever.  The characters' emotions are real and vivid.  The descriptions are full of just enough imagery and detail.  And the ending, while leaving some things open, still wraps up the story perfectly.

As I wasn't totally crazy about Shiver, I didn't expect to fall in love with this series, but it's definitely a favorite now.  I can't wait to read more books by this talented author!

My rating: 8 out of 10 (4 stars)

~ The Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment