Sunday, August 5, 2012

Book Review: Sea Change

Goodreads summary:

Sixteen-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science. . .and not so great with boys. After major drama with her boyfriend and (now ex) best friend, she's happy to spend the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate.
There, Miranda finds new friends and an island with a mysterious, mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, friendship. . .and reality.
Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined?

My review:

For me, Sea Change was an okay-ish novel.  It's a sweet, quick summer read, but it's not a book that I would consider amazing.  It was exciting enough to keep my interest, but I found parts of the storyline to be cliche and predictable.

I do like the main character Miranda a lot, though.  She wasn't too girly or too nerdy; she felt like someone you could understand.  I liked that though she was a science geek and great at math, she struggled with English and history.  It was a good balance and made her easier to relate to.

Still, the story kind of drove me nuts at times.  It's the usual plot that so often populates YA fiction.  Miranda meets the mysterious Leo and it's love at first sight, and after a couple weeks of knowing each other she's declaring that he's brilliant and unlike any boy she's ever met.  And it is a very predictable book - I kept guessing what would happen. 

But for all that, Sea Change was an enjoyable read.  Yeah, so the story is nothing unusual or unique, but I'd recommend it for someone who is looking for a short, cute summer novel. 

My rating:  6 out of 10

~ The Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment